Wednesday, April 2, 2014

thank you Kathi J. Smith - You are just the what i needed.


Kathi J. Smith






Statement

My work is reflective of places in which I find myself lost in the act of looking. Complicated spaces with an abundance of information intrigue me and I consider it my task as an artist to find order within them. I am currently interested in the role of landscapes in developing a sense of one’s self and, when conjured through sensations, how powerful the visual memory of a place can be. 

Recently, I have been painting places relevant to my personal history; memories of my family's homestead in Nova Scotia, my hometown in Western Maine, and the White Mountains where I currently reside. Concurrently, I have been creating bodies of work on location at artist residencies, in Maine, Connecticut, Virginia, and Vermont. These intense month long periods of working have resulted in further explorations of my sense of place, and the landscapes I have found myself within. All of the works are records of locations that I have spent a significant amount of time. Some are made from direct observation, while others from memory, all provide my sense of any given space.


Kathi Smith -2014



1 comment: